historysee where we’ve been and where we’re going
Establishment of the Chevron Pasadena Refinery dates back to the early days of exploration and refining in southeast Texas. Crown Central Petroleum (Crown) constructed the plant as one of the very first petroleum refineries on the Houston Ship Channel in 1919.
Crown owned and operated the plant for more than 80 years before selling to Astra, a Belgian trading company.
Astra held full ownership for two years and joint ownership for two more years before selling its stake to Petroleo Brasileiro S.A. (Petrobras) in 2008.
Chevron U.S.A. Inc (Chevron) then acquired the refinery on May 1, 2019.
chronology of events
- 1917 - Oil discovered in Harris County (Goose Creek Fields)
- 1920 - Crown conducts its first crude run with oil produced in Harris County
- 1969 - Refinery completes major modernization, adding Crude, Coker and Fluidized Catalyst Cracking units
- 1978 - Reformer unit added
- 2004 - Crown sells refinery to Astra, a Belgian trading company
- 2006 - Petrobras acquires 50% of Pasadena Refining System, Inc. (PRSI) in a joint venture with Astra
- 2006 - Szorb unit built
- 2006 - PRSI purchases Simpson Paper Mill, adding ~143 acres of industrial land adjacent to the refinery
- 2008 - Petrobras buys the remaining 50% stake from Astra to take full ownership of PRSI
- 2012 - PRSI completes connection to the Enterprise Eagle Ford Pipeline and begins processing approximately 2.1 million barrels per month of Eagle Ford crude
- 2019 - Chevron closes purchase of PRSI on May 1, 2019